Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Entry 7: Found Poem from Aldous Huxley’s Novel Brave New World
“The Gods are just. No doubt. But their code of law is dictated in the last resort, by the people who organize society; providence takes its cues from men.” (Page 160, Chapter 17)
“God isn’t compatible with machinery and scientific medicine and universal happiness. You must make your choice.” (Page 159, Chapter 17)
“...I don’t want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.” (Page 163, Chapter 17)
“I’m claiming the right to be unhappy.” (Page 163, Chapter 17)
“[Civilization] poisoned me; I was defiled and then I ate my own wickedness.” (Page 165, Chapter 18)
“But that’s the price we have to pay for stability.” (Page 151, Chapter 18)

I gathered these quotes because I feel that they capture the essence of the founding principles of the society in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. These particular quotes also provoke thought and insight not only about the world within this novel but the reader’s
reality. The placement of these quotes together and in this order also show an internal struggle, which I saw as a common theme in several characters throughout the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment